SAVORING the MOMENT

Cookbook author Mindy Toomay's blog about eating for health, cooking with spirit, and celebrating life in northern California. Here she dishes up food rants and raves, recipes, and plenty of kitchen wisdom.

By your own efforts, waken yourself, watch yourself, and live joyfully.
-- The Dhammapada

Why not make a daily pleasure out of a daily necessity?
-- Peter Mayle

Wednesday

Sky breakfast


Again, so busy doing my job as editor of a dog newspaper that I haven't had time to cook or blog. I've written before about what I cook for dinner when things get hectic (generally salads, quick soups, or "slumgullion"), but have I mentioned my quick and healthy breakfasts?

Here's one. Equal parts plain yogurt and applesauce (organic on both counts). Add a tablespoon or two of ground flaxseed and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Voila! A pretty good dose of protein and fiber, and it's yummy.

Some of my other favorite instant breakfasts:

1) Sprouted grain toast with smear of almond butter and mashed banana or thin-sliced apples or pears
2) Scrambled egg on s.g. toast with a slab of roasted red bell pepper
3) Smoothie made of lots of fruits, flax seed, vitamin C crystals, spirulina, in a base of soymilk or yogurt, or soy yogurt.
4) If I don't have time to sit down, it's often a few pieces of dried fruit (prunes, apricots) and a small handful of nuts on the run.

Doesn't it look like my breakfast this morning was floating somehow in the sky? T'wasn't. I had placed the bowl on a blue-topped table strewn with pine needles. Now I plan to eat a sky breakfast every sunny morning all summer...

Blessings and bon appetit!

3 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Blogger Harmonia said...

I've been on a died apricots kick lately!

I posted a soup today!

Have you been over to Veggin Out yet?

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

Mindy...I'm embarrased to admit I read your title and thought (Skyy) Vodka for breakfast?

Of course, your recipe is healthy as ever!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

That is a beautiful photo. I'm not a big yogurt fan, though did recently find WholeSoy & Comany Soy yogurt which I enjoy.

Thanks for the neat breakfast idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home