SAVORING the MOMENT

Cookbook author Mindy Toomay's blog about eating for health, cooking with spirit, and celebrating life in northern California. Here she dishes up food rants and raves, recipes, and plenty of kitchen wisdom.

By your own efforts, waken yourself, watch yourself, and live joyfully.
-- The Dhammapada

Why not make a daily pleasure out of a daily necessity?
-- Peter Mayle

Thursday

Curry calamity, averted


Tonight I looked at everything in the fridge I wanted to use up -- partial can of diced tomatoes, same of chickpeas, half a head of cauliflower -- and came up with a curry dish. Included coconut milk (yum!) and actual flaked coconut (unsweetened), along with the usual curry spice blend (homemade) and a lot of grated fresh ginger. Salt and cayenne added. Peas rinsed and ready, cilantro chopped.

Then, uh-oh. No basmati rice in the house. Amazing oversight on my part, because I almost never run out of such staples. Plenty of brown rice and arborio, but nothing that cooks up as fast as basmati. What to do?

In the pantry, I found a package of green tea soba from Trader Joe's. Never tried it before and my review is -- pretty good. I'm more used to the taste and texture of buckwhat soba. This version includes wheat and buckwheat flours, but the predominant flavor is actually green tea when you taste the noodles on their own. And the flavor of green tea is so subtle it got lot under the spicy curried veggies. (They were sturdy and made a great holder for the sauce, so no complaints on that score.)

So next time I'll try the green tea soba with the subtle flavors of Japan, in miso soup for instance, or with a light soy/peanut sauce. Hmmm... that sounds pretty good. I think I have my inspiration for one of my weekend meals. Maybe with Pressed Tofu with Savory Seasonings from my latest cookbook.

I also have a bag of fresh fava beans in the fridge, and can't wait to do some Provencal dish with those. I think I feel a cooking binge coming on. All will be revealed in due time...

Meanwhile, blessings and bon appetit!

5 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger Harmonia said...

Sorry it's been so long since my last comment! I rearranged my links and now it notifies me of updates so I will be by more!

This looks very interesting.

I just posted about my Dhal Adventure!

:)

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Shananigans said...

I adore curry dishes, but have yet to try and make any from scratch. I bet those green tea soba noodles would be good in a miso soup. I’ll have a look for them next time I’m at TJ’s, sounds interesting.

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the 'clean out the fridge' meals. That's when the most creative dishes come to be!

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Harmonia said...

I could use your feedback about my Quinoa Pasta Dish I just posted when you have time.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Fiber said...

Sounds absolutely awesome, Mindy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home