SAVORING the MOMENT

Cookbook author Mindy Toomay's blog about eating for health, cooking with spirit, and celebrating life in northern California. Here she dishes up food rants and raves, recipes, and plenty of kitchen wisdom.

By your own efforts, waken yourself, watch yourself, and live joyfully.
-- The Dhammapada

Why not make a daily pleasure out of a daily necessity?
-- Peter Mayle

Thursday

World's healthiest foods?

A couple of weeks ago, Health Magazine announced its list of the 5 healthiest foods in the world. I'm here to tell you that avocados, blueberries, walnuts, oatmeal, and garlic (some of my personal faves) aren't on it, nor are broccoli, green tea, or brown rice. Each of these foods has its advocates, and most nutritionists would agree that they're all good things to include in our diets on a regular basis. They're just not the healthy foods Health Magazine picked.

Curious about what did make the cut? Here you go: 1) olive oil; 2) soy; 3) lentils; 4) yogurt; and 5) kimchee (Korea's pickled spicy cabbage). You can read the article here to find out why.

I approved of the list because is validated my existence -- or at least my food choices. I happened to have every one of the listed foods on hand. Yes, even the kimchee.

A huge Asian market four blocks from my house carries an organic brand that's less expensive than anything I've found at the natural grocery stores. I like to keep kimchee on hand as a condiment for Indian and Southeast Asian meals, or just to snack on. No kidding, right out of the jar--sometimes it hits the spot like you wouldn't believe.

If you don't have access to or a taste for kimchee, you could eat naturally fermented saurkraut or dill pickles for the same benefit, which is plenty of live bacteria in your digestive tract -- the good kind, of course.

As I said, I liked Health Magazine's picks, but we all have our own opinions on the subject. I've been wondering what ordinary health-conscious people like you and me would put on our own personal top-5 lists.

If you'd like to share your picks, with or without explanation, leave me a comment or email me at cookwell2@aol.com. I'll post what you send me in the next week or so...

4 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Dori said...

Interesting healthiest foods list. I have read about olive oil, lentils, yogurt, soy.... but kimchee. I have never tried that before. I'll have to look around.

I'm curious to know how the pickled foods help with live bacteria. Some pickles aren't fermented, just vinegar, salt, water and seasonings.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a challenge! A personal top 5 list of personal favorite healthy foods: avocados, blueberries, oatmeal, garlic, broccoli, lentils, olive oil. Never could count. I'm off to have a cup of green earl grey!

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an interesting post, thanks Mindy...Im a bit surprised by these being chosen as the top 5, then again, that's rather hard to narrow down so many foods (and a lot of healthy ones) to just the top 5. When I have a bit more time, will read the why's of the list.

I also left a comment re: the cool whip, but it seems to have disappeared.

BFN, G :)

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I guess that's good. Both your list and the article's list are what I eat. Except for kimchee. That one, heh, I'm not sure longevity's worth the burn. Do they make it non-firey?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home