SAVORING the MOMENT

Cookbook author Mindy Toomay's blog about eating for health, cooking with spirit, and celebrating life in northern California. Here she dishes up food rants and raves, recipes, and plenty of kitchen wisdom.

By your own efforts, waken yourself, watch yourself, and live joyfully.
-- The Dhammapada

Why not make a daily pleasure out of a daily necessity?
-- Peter Mayle

Monday

Pass the pasta


All the salads I've been eating lately left me feeling hungry today for something more substantial. I was craving pasta and had some broccoli and lovely cherry tomatoes on hand. Here's what I made of them. The tomatoes plumped and burst in the pan and added a slightly sweet note, not to mention a gorgeous color contrast.

I must have been Italian in a previous lifetime, because I've also been craving polenta lately. And I've been thinking about making a bread salad (panzanella) from the rest of the Suburban Bread I told you about. All Italian dishes, of course, are just convenient ways to get plenty of garlic and olive oil onto my taste buds. And that brings me to my favorite olive oil.

I've been buying Bariani for years. The olives are grown and crushed outside of Sacramento, which makes it very much a local product, and the Bariani family actually show up at farmers markets rather than sending employees. I've had delighteful conversations with the sons and mom of the clan, who love to talk food and cooking almost as much as I do.

Once again I'm feeling very blessed to be living in the foodie paradise that is northern California.

5 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say...I noticed you eat a lot of salad and kind of wondered how you filled up enough on this. This pasta looks great:)

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said...

I am envious... wish I could live in foodie paradise Northern California too!

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

Looks great as usual. Where did you go Mindy? No posts in awhile.

I made you lavender lemonade the other day. It was yummy!

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Milinda said...

Here in Sacramento, we can buy Bariani oil from one of the family members at several of the farmers' markets. I love that extra connection to the olive oil. And it is the best.

I'm new to your blog and look forward to reading more.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Cate said...

Mmmm, I love Panzanella. Tyler Florence's recipe is my leading favorite - yum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home