SAVORING the MOMENT

Cookbook author Mindy Toomay's blog about eating for health, cooking with spirit, and celebrating life in northern California. Here she dishes up food rants and raves, recipes, and plenty of kitchen wisdom.

By your own efforts, waken yourself, watch yourself, and live joyfully.
-- The Dhammapada

Why not make a daily pleasure out of a daily necessity?
-- Peter Mayle

Sunday

Ice cream Sunday


This was one of those spur-of-the-moment inspirations that turned out really, really well and took about 5 minutes to prepare. I discovered green tea soy ice cream at my local natural food store and brought it home. I really, really love green tea ice cream but just don't let myself indulge in frozen dairy desserts (or much dairy at all). Not just the fat, not just the cholesterol, not just the calories -- but the whole dairy/cattle industry and the havoc it wreaks on the environment and animal welfare, etc.

So I was excited to find this frozen soy dessert in my favorite flavor and thought the super-spouse and I would just sit on the patio in the evening and have a few spoonfuls.

Then out of the blue I had an idea: Why not add some other traditional Asian flavors? So I scooped the green tea soy stuff into glasses, drizzled some light coconut milk over each serving. I would have added some chopped candied ginger, but didn't have any on hand. No matter. It was delicious.

Had another brainstorm while eating the first one: adding green tea soy dream to ginger ale would make one of the best floats ever. So that's next. I like Reed's Premium Ginger Brew, by the way, which is made with real ginger and sweetened with honey and pineapple juice, not high-fructose corn syrup, which is another scourge on the planet. Also, it contains no "natural flavors," which are not natural at all. But you knew that.

So now I have some great new desserty things to serve my friends all summer.

Come to think of it, a ginger or coconut cookie (or two) would be a great companion to either the float or the sundae.

Blessings and bon appetit!

4 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said...

I'm laughing so hard right now, because you start off your post talking about not eating too much ice cream because it is not healthy... and then by the end you have devised all these make it better plans for your green tea ice cream that involve more delicious (not exactly low fat treats) LOL! You are cracking me up! ;-) It all sounds fabulous and I am with you all the way!

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finding a GOOD sub. for 'real' ice cream is a challenge, especially where we are living right now, Canadian Prairies. Still too much junk in most of the soy and rice ice creams and of course the regular varieties can be really bad. Your photo looked just yummy....G

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks just yummy. Finding a good quality, non dairy ice cream is a real challenge, I hope the choices get better soon. Thanks for an interesting post. G

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger I Am Gluten Free said...

Mindy,

So, I'd like to hear more about your views about dairy. I'm considering giving it up, along with meat and white sugar. Oh so hard to give up life long habits, but I'm so determined to heal the damage caused by Celiac Disease, and hopefully to help my as-yet-unnoticed bald spot to regrow the hair it once had. But I also have osteoporosis because of a vitamin D deficiency due to the CD. So, I need to make sure I get my calcium....open to your ideas!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home