SAVORING the MOMENT

Cookbook author Mindy Toomay's blog about eating for health, cooking with spirit, and celebrating life in northern California. Here she dishes up food rants and raves, recipes, and plenty of kitchen wisdom.

By your own efforts, waken yourself, watch yourself, and live joyfully.
-- The Dhammapada

Why not make a daily pleasure out of a daily necessity?
-- Peter Mayle

Saturday

Keen on quinoa


I've been eating more of the ancient Aztec grain called quinoa (keen-wah) lately, tossing it in soups, steaming it to go with stir-fries, and letting it star in salads. It makes a great alternative to brown rice, which is my long-standing whole grain of choice for various and sundry dishes.

Because the quinoa grains are so small, I finely chop up the veggies I'm combining with it -- going for a confetti effect with the shapes and colors. Then I toss it all together with a simple vinaigrette and serve it on a bed of greens. Today I added wedges of sweet and succulent just-picked garden tomatoes.

It does make for a beautiful meal, doesn't it?

5 Comments:

At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looks lovely!

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel a better person just by looking at it!

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello,
I just discovered your blog, and was wondering if you would be interested in participating in something Angelika of The Flying Apple has put together. Neither she nor I are vegetarians, nor vegans, although I have vegetarian tendencies :) but I think it would be great to have a vegetarian or vegan menu in the mix. The link is
http://theflyingapple.typepad.com/the_flying_apple/2006/09/test.html

 
At 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous! Quinoa has to be one of my favorite grains. I just adore it.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Aisling said...

Hello!
Thanks to your post, I tried quinoa for the first time, and LOVE IT! So far have steamed it like rice, cooked it in soup, and really love the slighty nutty taste. Thanks!! :)

wv

 

Post a Comment

<< Home